Question on attachments

Put questions about your cataloguing projects to our panel of experts and the wider community.
higenbs1

Question on attachments

Postby higenbs1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi

I have a quick question. Is there any way to attach Word or Pdf documents to a record. I can find where to attach image files, but a collection I'm involved with is transcribed Pdf/Word copies of the original documents.

Also, do any of the fields in the database accept URL / Hyperlinks so that anyone browsing can click external links to other related information.

Thanks

Naomi

Re: Question on attachments

Postby Naomi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:18 am

Hello,

You can insert links into the Public Description (About this object) field in object records using an anchor tag.

<a href="Website URL" target="_blank">Display Text</a>

(Where the Website URL is the address of the web page you would like to link to and Display Text is the text you would like to display as a clickable link.)

eHive's Online Help has a section on this which you may find useful:

http://help.ehive.com/index.htm#Linking-to-other-websites-audio-and-media-files

PDF and word files cannot currently be stored or displayed on eHive. Depending on the amount of documentation you're working with, you could convert your PDFs to JPEGS to enable them to be linked to an eHive record, or alternatively you could store your documents in a separate online service, and reference them using the anchor tag.

Hope that helps,
Naomi
Last edited by Naomi on Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

higenbs1

Postby higenbs1 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks Naomi, that's really helpful

I did notice that the Subject and Association Description doesn't seem to be hyperlink enabled. Public Description is, so not a problem, just thought I should mention.

Thanks

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for spotting that. I've edited my post to reflect this.

All the best,
Naomi

Return to “Cataloguing Questions”