Changing catalogue type?

Put questions about your cataloguing projects to our panel of experts and the wider community.
PenderMuseum

Changing catalogue type?

Postby PenderMuseum » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:59 pm

I would like to know if it is possible to change the catalogue type of an entry from say, Archives to Natural History or is the assignment of catalogue type only possible when the entry is created. I have a number of entries that are catalogue type Archives that I want to change to History. Any suggestions? Thanks, John of the Pender Islands Museum in British Columbia, Canada

paul

Re: Changing catalogue type?

Postby paul » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:15 pm

There isn't an option in the system to change this. We can do this manually on an individual record basis. We'd need the eHive id for the records which you could send direct to us as info@ehive.com. We're cautious about providing this as an option in the system as some fields are only available for certain catalogue types so can be hidden by changing the type.

Depending on the number of records to be changed there can be a charge for making the changes.

PenderMuseum

Postby PenderMuseum » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Our eHive id is PenderMuseum and our entry count in question is about 180. As I said, they are catalogued as "Archives" and really should be "History". I think it would be great if one could edit the catalogue type on eHive. I don't think I could get our Museum Board to approve any more expenditure on eHive for this year, but I think you are a very good value with a quality product and we are happy to be working with you hopefully for the long term.

paul

Postby paul » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 am

Would you want to change all the existing 176 archive records to be history? If so, we can check if this could be done as a batch change for you.

PenderMuseum

Postby PenderMuseum » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Yes, that would be great! We have a summer student who has put considerable effort into recent record additions and if you could batch change all of our existing "Archives" catalogue type to "History" catalogue type I would be happy and sleep well. We now know how to proceed with future entries. Thanks very much for your top notch service and advice. John Mackenzie, Pender Islands Museum.

PenderMuseum

Postby PenderMuseum » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Sorry to be such a pain, but the archaeological entries we have submitted are meant to be "catalogue type" Archaeological and not Archives. If the term archaeological is present in a very few of our most recent entries, then if you could not change those to History, but to Archaeology instead, then we would be over the moon! The records contain arrow heads and stone tools, etc., a fairly small number of entries.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:45 pm

All of the Archives entries seem to be History items. I couldn't see any examples of arrowheads, stone tools etc that are incorrect. Based on this, we should be able to do a bulk switch of all Archives entries to History. Could you double-check this?

PenderMuseum

Postby PenderMuseum » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for getting back to me Paul. Yes, all of the Archive entries should actually be History entries. The arrowheads, stone tools, etc. have been correctly entered as Archaeology. If you can convert all the Archive entries to become History entries then everything will be set right. We won't make the mistake of choosing the wrong Catalogue Type again. Thanks so much for your help!

paul

Postby paul » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:59 pm

This is all done now John.

Thanks,
Paul

PenderMuseum

Postby PenderMuseum » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:41 am

Great service, thanks again!

Return to “Cataloguing Questions”