Separate Locations for different Parts of an Object

Put questions about your cataloguing projects to our panel of experts and the wider community.
SpyTheExhibit

Separate Locations for different Parts of an Object

Postby SpyTheExhibit » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 am

Greetings!

Is there any advice for recording separate Locations for different Parts of an Object? I have a number of Objects which contain Parts that are not actually used during exhibition. These Parts are stored in separate Locations from the Objects on exhibition. An example of this might be a hat with original hat box. We might not want to exhibit the hat box itself, and would like to indicate it's Location separate from the hat.

I could, I suppose, add a separate set in the Location History for each Part of the Object; and in the General Location Notes field indicate to which Part the Location relates. Or would it be best to create a separate Record for each Object (had and hat box, for example) and indicate that they are related through the Related Objects sets?

I would be grateful for any thoughts on this subject.

Best wishes,

TC

paul

Re: Separate Locations for different Parts of an Object

Postby paul » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:22 am

There aren't any fields specifically for handling locations at part level. The best approach would be:

Record the location of each part in the Location History section. You can record the location, the date, and in the notes field for each location a reference to the part.

Record the current location in the Current Location field (the hat in your example) and use the General Location Notes field to note any parts that are being stored elsewhere. e.g. Only the hat is currently on display.

Return to “Cataloguing Questions”