Need Classification Help for Car Museum

Put questions about your cataloguing projects to our panel of experts and the wider community.
rgschmitt

Need Classification Help for Car Museum

Postby rgschmitt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 am

Hi all -

I'm volunteering to help a car museum select a collections management system (CMS) and have put a few car-type personal objects on an eHive site to learn more: https://ehive.com/account/4904/ These were entered through the Create interface.

I've entered more objects on an eHive import spreadsheet (not yet used, but a "must" for a large collection) and almost have all the "car specific" data in appropriate fields in the "History" category, but would appreciate advice from anyone with a similar archive.

The categories we think are important are:

Accession Number
ID Number
System No.
Car Make
Car Model
Car Manufacturer
Year
Chassis Number
Engine Number
Coachbuilder
Reg No
OriginalRegNo
Color
Storage Location
Owner History
Other Features/ Awards

Before this project, I've been making and testing similar archives with the Greenstone digital library software and that project is at CarLibrary.org Two recent guides on that site may be useful if you need to make eHive import files.

Thanks for any help or feedback!

Bob S.
Burbank, California

Zoe

Re: Need Classification Help for Car Museum

Postby Zoe » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi Bob,

If you to the search page on eHive and change your search type to 'Account' (by selecting the Account tab) you can search for 'car'. This will bring up organisations on eHive who either have car collections, or car collections as part of their other collections. On the account page for these organisations you can find contact details, and could also enquire directly regarding data entry standards.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search for information.

Zoe

rgschmitt

Re: Need Classification Help for Car Museum

Postby rgschmitt » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Zoe -

Thanks. I actually did a similar search before posting my questions, but did it with "car" and found 16 museums. There are only 3-4 museums that have more than one car and they either have very few or no objects on public view. Further, the cars which can be reviewed have few "features" cataloged, it seems much less than what I've attempted with a single car on my trial site.

I've also put similar car data into the eHive import spreadsheet and think I got about an 80% matchup. I'll do more research on authorities and controlled vocabularies that may apply to car collections, but based on this eHive and other research - including direct contact with large museums and collections - bringing their collections into "a system" is not yet high priority.

Bob

Return to “Cataloguing Questions”