"Add comment" Spam

Use this forum to note any problems you find in eHive or suggestions you have for enhancements.
SianW

"Add comment" Spam

Postby SianW » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi,

I notice that the latest upgrade to eHive included •Tighter security on the 'Add comment' function. Unfortunately since the upgrade one of our records has had three spam comments added! I presume this is something that is very difficult to eliminate and we will just need to be vigilant, but I thought I would alert others to this issue. Our spammed record is: https://ehive.com/account/4308/object/343763

Naomi

Re: "Add comment" Spam

Postby Naomi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:25 am

Hi Sian,

Thanks for your post. Our development team is currently investigating whether there's any way we can mitigate this.

In the meantime, you can delete these comments from your record by logging into your eHive account, opening the record in Detail view, then clicking the Delete link next to the comment. If this happens again, you could also consider temporarily changing your account settings to "Allow users with eHive accounts to make comments" to prevent further spam comments being made.

Kind regards,
Naomi

SianW

Postby SianW » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi,

we had not really had major problems with this - one or two spam comments which I deleted. But today, we seem to be under sustained attack. One of our records is being spammed through the comment posts, and there are now over 150 spam comments attached, and I have had to turn off email notification. I changed the data preferences to "Allow users belonging to this account to make comments" as suggested, but this has made no difference. I have also changed our account password just in case, but again, this has had no effect. I have also changed the record in question from public to private, but again, this has had no effect. So how can I stop this record being spammed, and is there anything you can do to mitigate against this in the future please?

Our spammed record is: https://ehive.com/account/4308/object/355985

SianW

Postby SianW » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:55 am

Just to give an update. I finally managed to stop the spam posting to comments by deactivating the 'eHive Object Comments' plugin on our Wordpress site.

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:15 am

We do have some measures in place to prevent spammers commenting on records. Email addresses used by commenters are checked against a blacklist of known spammers and the reCAPTCHA on the comment form stops automated commenting by robots.

Unfortunately there's no way we can stop an individual from manually posting spam comments. Putting measures in place to do so would potentially have an impact on legitimate commenters as well.

Your approach of changing your account preferences to "Allow users belonging to this account to make comments" and deactivating the commenting plugins on your WordPress site is the only way to stop this type of spam. You should be able to switch commenting back on in a few days, once the spammers have moved on.

Thanks,
Naomi

Return to “Software Feedback and Suggestions”