Location field issues

Use this forum to note any problems you find in eHive or suggestions you have for enhancements.
phillipsmuseum

Location field issues

Postby phillipsmuseum » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:02 am

Hello!
We have had some problems with the location field picklist similar to what FlindersShire discussed in their Sun Feb 03, 2013 post. Really, our issues with the location field are three fold:
-system claims that records are linked to a location when it is not--this is identical to what FlindersShire described
-system is not marking changes made to some location terms (a box was renumbered but the system is recognizing the change)
-system is not deleting locations that have since become redundant or was made incorrectly.
Is there an easy fix to any of these problems? We would really appreciate the help.
Best,
--Madelaine Fye

Naomi

Re: Location field issues

Postby Naomi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Madelaine,

Could you give me some examples of the issues you're experiencing so I can take a look? The names of some of the terms you've encountered this with would be great.

Many thanks,
Naomi

phillipsmuseum

Postby phillipsmuseum » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:29 am

Hey Naomi,
Sure I can give some examples.
The first problem with objects being linked to a location and not happens fairly regularly. An example of this is "The Phillips/wp box7" where once you click on the 4 records hyperlink, nothing comes up.
The second problem regarding changing names might be more of a lagging issue than anything else at this point. It took all day for a change made to register--changed from a jp box to a wp box.
The last issue where a location with no linked records can't be deleted is happening for "The Phillips/WP11" in addition to at least 10 more (we are phasing out the WP# locations to a more useful term but can't seem to clean house of the old.)

--Madelaine

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Madelaine,

At the moment when the Location Term Pick List shows objects linked to a location, it includes all objects which have this location entered in either the Location History or the Current Location field. When you click on the link however, the system will search for object records with this location entered in whichever field you have branched from (so clicking on the link in the Location History pick list will only search for object records which have this location in the Location History field). In the case of The Phillips/wp box7, there do not appear to be any objects with this location in their Location History field, but there are 4 objects with this location listed as their Current Location.

The delay in registering changes to terms is most likely a result of an indexing backlog. If you come across this again please let us know, citing some of the terms affected and we will do our best to resolve this for you.

I have also spoken to our Developer regarding the obsolete location terms not being able to be deleted and this has been logged for review next year. In the interim, you could consider renaming the terms you wish to delete, perhaps with a prefix such as "Obsolete" or a letter "z" or "x" (eg. zThe Phillips/WP11) so that these terms appear at the bottom of your picklist and are identifiable as terms that should not be used. One of the advantages of this would be that you could choose to keep these terms so they could be retained in the Location History of objects formerly located to these boxes.

All the best,
Naomi

phillipsmuseum

Postby phillipsmuseum » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 am

Naomi,
I hate to come back with the same issues, especially after your last helpful message, but some insight would be helpful. I am taking your advice and changing the name of the location descriptions so that they are obviously out of use. I came across one of the terms that has a link, obviously as a historical location rather than current because when I search the term (The Phillips/wp box7) nothing comes up. I have tried looking for the one problem record searching "The Phillips/wp box7" or loc:The Phillips/wp box7 to no avail. Do you know of a way to find the record linked via the location history?

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi Madelaine,

Not a problem at all, it's why we're here.

You can search My Objects for an object by location history, for example:

location_history:"The Phillips/wp box7"

The quote marks will ensure that you only get exact matches.

You can also access this information from the location pick list. If you are in the Location History Pick List Editor, clicking on the Linked Records will search for objects with this location in the location history. If you are in the Current Location Pick list Editor, clicking on the Linked Records will search for objects with this location in the Current Location.

I've had a look at the locations in your account, and while I could not find "The Phillips/wp box7", I did see that the location "zdelete" has one linked object record that neither current location or location history searches can retrieve. This is likely to be caused by an indexing error which our Developer will look into resolving in the new year (today is his last day before a well earned xmas holiday). The issue has been logged and we will let you know as soon as it has been resolved. If you have any further queries in the interim please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,
Naomi

phillipsmuseum

Postby phillipsmuseum » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:44 am

Thank you Naomi. I have been using this program for a little over a year and am still learning the nuances. I hope you and your developer have a happy holiday!

Naomi

Postby Naomi » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks Madelaine. Hope you have a happy holiday too!

Return to “Software Feedback and Suggestions”