classification field

Any registered user can post topics here for discussion on eHive or collection management.
kaaren

classification field

Postby kaaren » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 am

is it possible to enter a long classification with many levels e.g. clothing outerwear/ jacket/ sports jacket

fionam

Re: classification field

Postby fionam » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes, you can certainly create classifications that string together different 'levels', divided by some sort of delimiter (e.g. a / or , or some other form of punctuation).
Your example of
clothing outerwear/ jacket/ sports jacket
is good as it goes from broadest (clothing outerwear) to most specific (sports jacket). Organising your classification in this way will group together like terms (e.g. all clothing outerwear) and make it easy to find the most appropriate term when you are doing data entry.

kaaren

Postby kaaren » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 am

How does free text searching alter entering info into the fields in a constructed, controlled way for the authority fields. Is it still so necessary to have controlled thesaurii for key fields and still achieve accurate search results?

Do free text searches mean that all fields are searched for the search term and the search results are accurate and across our database

fionam

Postby fionam » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Using thesaurii to control entry to fields creates consistent data.

Being able to free text search does make it easier to locate objects; however the use of a controlled thesaurus would create more consistent results and allow for greater sophistication in searching.

For example, you could search for 'pottery china', which would immediately eliminate any search results for objects made in China.

I should also mention that in thinking through your questions about classification, I identified a bug in eHive: eHive wasn't allowing me to view the whole classification 'string' (the example I was using was Photography/ Colour Photography/ Lambda Print). The drop down box cut off the text after 'Colour Ph...'. This has been noted and will be fixed in the next update of eHive (scheduled for next week).

kaaren

Postby kaaren » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 am

thanks Fiona, I am finding your responses to be spot on in helping sort out some of my issues. Working in isolation, with a new database system, has its callenges and it is good to know that the forum links me in to the users and developers.

One thing I am wondering since I see a couple of typos in my previous query: where do I find the spell check if it is available.

Also not having participated in a form befeore, is there somewhere to find the instructions on how to use it?

Cheers, Kaaren

fionam

Postby fionam » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Kaaren

No worries - it's great that you're using the forum to ask about the issues you're facing when preparing to undertake your collection database work.

Re. 'How to use this forum?' - may I point you in the direction of the FAQ (in the mid-blue bar near the top of the forum screen). You may also wish to check out the User Control Panel (located in the same blue bar) to change your personal settings and preferences. One good one to change is under Board Preferences > Edit Posting Defaults, where you can specify to be emailed when you receive replies to posts (if you're not currently receiving email notification).

Re. spell checking, there does not seem to be a spell check option available! I will check with my colleagues here at Vernon, as I believe there might be an optional spell check add-on available. Will let you know how I get on.

Otherwise, do keep the questions coming! Hope that you are receiving some good summer weather in Owaka and that things are coming along well for your project.

Return to “General Discussion”