Restrictions with Import Spreadsheet

Any registered user can post topics here for discussion on eHive or collection management.
ColinLamb

Restrictions with Import Spreadsheet

Postby ColinLamb » Mon May 26, 2014 3:35 pm

I am looking to populate the import spread sheet by pasting data from an Access database. Do the yellow fields have to be mandatory if the records are not to be made public. In particular, the existing descriptions are more suitable for the "Brief Description" field than the "Public Description" field. The other problem is that the existing accession dates are in the form "dd/mm/yyyy". Is this not an acceptable format? It is when records are created manually.
Colin Lamb

Zoe

Re: Restrictions with Import Spreadsheet

Postby Zoe » Tue May 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi Colin,

Did you recently download this spreadsheet from the eHive site? I just refreshed it with a new version of the spreadsheet which is much clearer to use, you could download this newer version by going to the Importing Data page - http://ehive.com/importing-data.

It's okay if you already have data entered in your current spreadsheet, you can simply cut and paste it into the new version that you download (careful to paste under the existing headings, so from Row 6 down). After pasting, please check that your data is still in the correct columns before you save.

The updated spreadsheet removes the coloured backgrounds, and leaves the only true mandatory fields coloured, and those fields are eHive Record Type and Dublin Core Type (these fields are mandatory whether or not you are publishing records or not). The Public Description field is simply the public version of the Brief Description field. Should you choose to publish your records, you can record a slightly altered Brief Description for the public to see, and record that in Public Description. If you are not going to publish your records, you can just use Brief Description as normal.

Let me know if this clears things up for you.

Cheers,

Zoe

ColinLamb

Re: Restrictions with Import Spreadsheet

Postby ColinLamb » Thu May 29, 2014 10:31 am

Thank you Zoe. I was looking at a spread sheet which I had downloaded some time ago. The new one is better and eliminates the problems.
Colin Lamb

Return to “General Discussion”