Starting out with the wordpress eHive Plugins

Ask questions related to the eHive application programming interfaces, including the OAI-PMH data harvester, REST API and WordPress plugins.
Tony Morton

Starting out with the wordpress eHive Plugins

Postby Tony Morton » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:08 am

Dear Sir or Madam,
I have been trying to use the eHive Wordpress plugins with no success, every combination of keys and account type that I try results in pages with the message "Some content on this site is currently unavailable please try again later", and no connection being made to the museum account and it's records that I am working with. I am clearly failing to understand something fundamental and I wonder if you can help?

We are developing a Wordpress website to display the eHive records of four museums with eHive accounts. From my client's eHive account I have created a Community, created API Keys at a level of community public data, input those Keys to the Access Settings page for a Site Type = Community with the community index number selected, created a page to show the Account Details of my client's museum and put the shortcode into that page, Saved everything at every stage, and it is not working. I have also tried API Keys at an account only level, just to display records from my client's museum, and that does not work either. I have tried the shortcode for an Objects Image Grid and that also returns the default message.

The only box I have not ticked is the one for "Enable caching for API calls", because I do not know what that means and the help files make no mention of it.

Can you please advise me on how to get the link between my development Wordpress website and your eHive records to work, and start showing the records? I cannot get past this first fundamental step.

Regards
Tony Morton

Darren

Re: Starting out with the wordpress eHive Plugins

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:09 am

Hi Tony

The eHive WordPress plugins work on a localhost setup.

Can you send me a screen shoot of the eHive Access plugin options/settings please.

Can you give me the eHive Community number and the Account number that is the moderator / owner of the the Community you are configuring your WordPress site for.

Given the Account number I can lookup how the API Keys have been configured in eHive and advise how to configure the Access plugin.

I have responded to the email with the same questions you sent to info@ehive.com on the 10th December.
Can you please confirm if you receive this response email response.

Kind Regards
Darren

Tony Morton

Postby Tony Morton » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:43 am

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your reply. Here is a screenshot of the Access Settings page, the Community number is 1090 "Museum Ethnography East of England" and the museum's Account Number is 4056 "Saffron Walden Museum".

And no, I did not receive a reply to my earlier email.

Many thanks

Tony Morton
Attachments
eHive_Base_settings_‹_FourMuseums_—_WordPress_-_2015-12-15_15.40.57.png
eHive_Base_settings_‹_FourMuseums_—_WordPress_-_2015-12-15_15.40.57.png (144.68 KiB) Viewed 2811 times

Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi Tony

The API key is configured for access to the 1090 community object records in eHive.

You have configured you eHive Access settings correctly for accessing the 1090 community.

The community 1090 has no object records contributed to it, this is why no records are being accessed.

To publish a record to the community:
- Select an object from the Latest Object Record Changes list on the left hand side of the logged in user home page.
- Select the Update link in the "This object is in ..." box on the bottom right hand side of the object detail page.
- Publish the object to the Museum Ethnography East of England community.

Retry accessing the community records from your WordPress site.

Regards
Darren

Tony Morton

Postby Tony Morton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:36 am

Hi Darren,

Thanks for that advice, I had not realised that I needed to do that to each object. So, to try it out I have published two objects and added them to the community, but I am still only getting the error message on the development website page for each and every shortcode that I insert to the page, for Account Details, Object Details, Object Image Grid.

I am working on a Ubuntu Linux PC, does that make any difference?

Regards
Tony

Darren

Postby Darren » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:01 am

HI Tony

Ubuntu Linux is the development environment in which the plugins have been tested and developed. It should make no difference.

Try the following:

- Disable all the eHive plugins except for the eHive Access and eHive Objects Image Grid
The eHive Objects Image Grid is the simplest to get working.

- Add the short code for the eHive Objects Image Grid to a page
[ehive_objects_image_grid rows="3" columns="7" image_size="TS" explore_type="popular"]

Regards
Darren

Return to “Developers”